Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital has been a part of western Nevada County since 1958, but its roots go even deeper. In the 1930s, mining engineer Errol MacBoyle and local doctor Carl Jones were leaders of an effort to build a new community hospital. With donated funds and land from MacBoyle's Idaho-Maryland Mine, work was begun on a new hospital.
World War II interrupted construction of the hospital and by the mid-1950s both MacBoyle and Jones had died and the unfinished hospital building was sold to businessman Charles Litton. Later, with proceeds from the sale and community fundraising efforts, plus 10 acres of land on Spring Hill donated by the Idaho-Maryland Mine, a new hospital for the community became a reality as Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital opened its doors.
What We Offer Today
Much has happened since the hospital opened in 1958, including additions our Outpatient Center, a Community Cancer Center and a Wound Treatment and Hyperbaric Medicine Center.
Since 2000, the hospital has continued to grow and expand services, including the addition of state of the art diagnostic services, access to emergency care providers within 30 minutes and a certified Stroke Center.
Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital offers access to the SNMH Health Sciences Library, continuing and medical education for healthcare professionals, wellness center classes including diabetes management, smoking cessation, stress reduction, prenatal classes, cancer support groups and family caregiver classes. In addition, there are more than 100 primary and specialty care physicians on SNMH's active and associate medical staff.